About the Ministry Review
After consultations with students, staff, families, trustees and community members, the Ministry of Education released its
final report on the Peel District School Board's review on March 13, 2020. The review, which was first
announced on Nov. 7, 2019, by Minister of Education Stephen Lecce, and was led by Patrick Case, was conducted by three independent reviewers: Ena Chadha, Suzanne Herbert and Shawn Richard.
The mandate of the reviewers, under the authority of the Education Act, was to provide observations and recommendations to the Minister of Education and the Peel board related to the performance of the board, including, but not limited to issues of:
- systemic discrimination, specifically anti-Black racism
- human resources practices
- board governance
addresses each of the areas and provides the Peel board with a number of directives.
Directives and Action Items
In response to the Ministry's report, the board is committed to the completion of deliverables and timelines for all 27 directives from the Minister of Education.
View the Peel board's Response inpdf format or below. This document will be updated as progress is made.
Progress and Updates
Peel board news releases, statements, updates
- May 26, 2020 - Governance update on Minstry directives
- May 26, 2020 - Operational update on Ministry directives
- May 13, 2020 - Peel District School Board ends its contract with Integrity Commissioner
- May 4, 2020 - Immediate Peel District School Board Actions on Ministry Review
- April 22, 2020 - Statement from Chair and Vice-Chair regarding progress on Ministry of Education directives
- April 16, 2020 - Peel board issues apology in light of the harm to the community, particularly to the Black community
- April 16, 2020 - Peel board works to dismantle systemic discrimination, anti-Black racism to improve success, well-being of students, staff
- March 24, 2020 - Peel trustees held a Supplementary Meeting of the Board where they approved a number of recommendations from the Ministry of Education Review directives that required action by March 26, 2020.
- March 13, 2020 - Peel board takes immediate action on Ministry of Education Review directives
- Jan. 27, 2020 - Statement from Chair of the Board regarding the Ministry Reviewers’ Interim Report
- Dec. 21, 2019 - Third Peel board reviewer added by the Ministry of Education
- Nov. 27, 2019 - Ministry of Education announces Peel District School Board reviewers
- Nov. 20, 2019 - Participation welcome in Ministry of Education review
Ministry of Education news releases