All new employees, volunteers, service providers, individuals requiring a placement for professional certification and others (the "applicant"), aged 18 or older are required to provide a Criminal Background Check that is satisfactory to the board prior to the commencement of any duties. The Criminal Background Check must meet all of the conditions outlined below:
- Must have been completed by a police service within the preceding 6 months
- Must include a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) including record suspensions (pardons) for sexual offences for individuals where they will be in a position(s) of trust or authority over children or vulnerable persons
- Must be an original
- Some police services offer or provide only a digital version. The police service email with the digital version, must be forwarded to [email protected]
It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the above conditions are met. Any cost related to obtaining the Criminal Background Check is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
The original copy of the Criminal Background Check, and any additional information requested, will become the property of the Peel District School Board, and will not be returned, copied or forwarded to any other institution or individual. The original Criminal Background Check should be hand delivered, if possible, to our HJA Brown Education Centre at 5650 Hurontario Street, Mississauga, ON L5R 1C6, and deposited in the Criminal Background Check secured mail slot located in the Atrium. Please read the posted instructions and complete the appropriate form prior to depositing the criminal background check. You should make a copy of your Criminal Background Check for your own records prior to submitting.
The Board’s recommendation to select an individual for duties is conditional upon the receipt and review of an original Criminal Background Check. The applicant must obtain a Criminal Background Check through a local police service in the area in which they reside. Police Services usually require the applicant to complete a form and provide two pieces of government issued identification, one with a photo, before they access the CPIC (Canadian Police Information Centre) database electronically.. Searches completed by any private company or organization other than a police service will not be accepted.
Please be advised of the following:
- Processing times with police services could be quite lengthy.
- The Peel District School Board treats all information it receives through the Criminal Background Check and VSC process consistent with its obligations under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Unless and until the Board policy is changed, the applicant is not specifically required by the Board to disclose information regarding police contact under the Mental Health Act.
- Many police services can provide the applicant with multiple originals if requested at the time of application (if required e.g. student placements/service providers).
Should the applicant submit a Criminal Background Check showing evidence of a police record, confirmation of their duties will be postponed pending a review of the information. A police record will not necessarily disqualify the applicant. The Peel District School Board reserves the right to request that the applicant provide additional information with regard to their application for duties. The final decision will be made by the Superintendent of Human Resources Support Services in consultation with the “Criminal Background Check Management Review Committee”.