Peel board recognizes Black History Month
Peel board schools will hold events throughout February in honour of Black History Month. In addition, more than 500 students will participate in the Spotlight on Black Heritage events at the HJA Brown Education Centre on Feb. 15 and 16.
Students from Conestoga Public School made a special presentation to the board to share a presentation and dance, and to highlight Black History Month activities hosted at their school.
“Peel students, staff and parents are taking part in hundreds of activities during Black History Month to celebrate the many achievements and contributions of all Black Canadians who have done so much to help make Canada the culturally diverse country we know today,” says Tony Pontes, director of education. “Spotlight on Black Heritage is just one example of the many ways we celebrate all communities and cultures throughout the year.”
Start-of-year video wins award
The Peel board has received the Grand Award from Strategic Video Awards for its 2011 start-of-year video Unlock the smile. The video is available on YouTube on the Peel board’s channel: Peelschools.
Unlock the smile showcases the exciting, dynamic, spontaneous and welcoming environments found in all Peel schools—schools where students and staff ignite the light and let it shine. The video was based on a similar video already posted on YouTube. We created the Peel board’s own version as a way to inspire and excite staff and students for the new school year, and to remind them of all the reasons their school is a great place to be.
The video was produced internally by the board’s Communications and Media Support teams, and featured students and staff from Mississauga Secondary School, David Leeder Middle School and Meadowvale Village Public School.
Richard Barter delegated the board regarding school closures in the Clarkson community.
Dan Anderson delegated the board regarding school closures in the Clarkson community.
Catherine Soplet delegated the board regarding Parent Reaching Out grants.
Navneet Bedi delegated the board regarding the proposed boundary change for Mount Royal Public School.
Valarie Soble delegated the board on behalf of the Sawmill Valley Public School community regarding the accommodation review report.
Michael Lucid delegated the board regarding the process of renaming schools.
Board approves new school names
The board approved the names of the following new schools:
The school tentatively named Fletcher’s South be officially named Ray Lawson Public School
The school tentatively named Mayfield West be officially named SouthFields Village Public School
The school tentatively named Credit Valley Sub Area 2 #1 be officially named Ingleborough Public School
The school tentatively named Vales South be officially named Fairlawn Public School
Board sends letter to City of Mississauga regarding proposed rezoning
The board will send letters to the City of Mississauga regarding the proposed rezoning at 2040 Camilla Road and 447, 453 and 503 Lakeshore Rd. E. and 1021, 1027, 1077 and 1087 Enola Ave.
The rezoning at 2040 Camilla will permit 417 apartment units. Construction of these units is not anticipated until 2019. The application is currently within the Corsair P.S. area; however, the ultimate location for students living in this new development will be reviewed and determined once the application is approved and construction is about to commence.
The rezoning on Lakeshore Rd. E and Enola Ave. will permit 277 apartment units and 13 townhouse units. The area is in the boundary of Janet I. McDougald P.S., Allan A. Martin Sr. P.S. and Cawthra Park S.S. There is available space at the designated schools to accommodate the anticipated number of students.
Board considers boundary change for Castlebrooke and Chinguacousy secondary schools
The board is considering a boundary change for Castlebrooke and Chinguacousy secondary schools, effective September 2012. Families in the areas affected will be invited to a consultation about the proposed boundaries.
For complete information about the proposed boundary changes, contact Planning and Accommodation, 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146) ext. 2212.
Board approves recommendations of Clarkson/Erindale Accommodation Review Committee
After an intensive community process, trustees have approved the recommendation of the Accommodation Review Committee contained in the Clarkson/Erindale Accommodation Review Staff Report. The approved:
1. The closure of Ashgrove P.S. and the consolidation of all K-5 students (at a date to be determined) in the area bounded by Highway 403 on the north, Winston Churchill Boulevard on the east, Dundas Street West on the south and the border between the City of Mississauga and the Town of Oakville on the west at Garthwood Park P.S.;
2. The closure of Pheasant Run P.S. and the consolidation of all K-5 students (at a date to be determined) in the area commencing at the intersection of Winston Churchill Boulevard and Highway 403, then east along Highway 403, then south along the Credit River, then west along Dundas Street West, then north along Erin Mills Parkway, then west along Burnhamthorpe Road West, then north along Winston Churchill Boulevard to the point of commencement at Sawmill Valley P.S
3. The closure of King’s Masting P.S. and the consolidation of all K-5 students (at a date to be determined) in the area bounded by Burnhamthorpe Road West on the north, Erin Mills Parkway on the east, Dundas Street West on the south and Winston Churchill Boulevard on the west at Brookmede P.S.;
4. That the grade 6-8 students living in the area bounded by Highway 403 on the north, the Credit River on the east, Dundas Street West on the south and the border between the City of Mississauga and the Town of Oakville on the west attend Erin Mills M.S. Beginning September 2012, students entering grade 6 from Ashgrove P.S. and Garthwood Park P.S. attendance areas will be directed to Erin Mills M.S. Sawmill Valley P.S. students will be phased in as part of the implementation plan developed by board staff, no earlier than September 2013.
5. The closures of Elmcrest P.S. and Willow Glen P.S. and the consolidation of all K-8 students (at a date to be determined) in the area bounded by the Queen Elizabeth Way on the north, Southdown Road on the east, Royal Windsor Drive on the south and Winston Churchill Boulevard on the west at Hillside M.S.;
6. The appropriate additions, renovations and retrofits at the consolidated sites of Garthwood Park P.S., Sawmill Valley P.S., Brookmede P.S., Erin Mills M.S. and Hillside M.S. be undertaken, funded through the proceeds of disposition;
7. Students currently attending Pheasant Run P.S. and living south of Burnhamthorpe Road West be provided the option to attend Sawmill Valley P.S. or Brookmede P.S. at the time of consolidation;
8. Students in the area south of Burnhamthorpe Road West in the Pheasant Run P.S. catchment area enrolling after June 30, 2012 be directed to Brookmede P.S. unless they have a sibling currently attending Pheasant Run P.S.;
9. Students currently attending Brookmede P.S. living east of Erin Mills Parkway be provided the option to attend Brookmede P.S. or Sawmill Valley P.S. at the time of consolidation;
10.Students living in the area east of Erin Mills Parkway in the Brookmede P.S. area enrolling after June 30, 2012 be directed to Sawmill Valley P.S. unless they have a sibling currently attending Brookmede P.S.;
11.The Board give consideration to establishing learning choices programs at one or more of the consolidated sites;
12.Affected Special Education classes be considered as part of the Annual Special Education review process;
13.Staff enter into negotiations with the City of Mississauga to acquire additional land at Hillside M.S.;
14.No schools be closed before September 2013 and that an Implementation Committee be formed, comprised of appropriate Board staff, to develop and oversee an Implementation Plan to execute the recommendations of this report, after approval by the Board.
15.A phased Implementation Plan, outlining the timeline for construction/closure/consolidation/disposition, be presented to the Board by December 2012; and
16.Transition Committees be formed, comprised of Board staff and parents to support the closure and consolidation of schools. This process will include a plan for items of historical significance; the control, reclamation and disposition of a closing school’s inventory; maintaining appropriate records and building a collaborative culture in the consolidated site.
Board approves tender for gym addition to Plum Tree Park Public School
Trustees approved a tender for a gym addition for Plum Tree Park Public School. The addition will be built by BWK Contracting Co. Ltd. at a cost of $2,163,950 including HST.
The board also approved a borrowing resolution to finance the addition.
Board approves boundary changes
Trustees approved the boundaries of the following schools:
K to 6 and 1 to 6 French Immersion boundaries for Settler’s Green P.S.
K to 6 boundary for Shelter Bay P.S.
K to 5 boundary for Ray Lawson P.S. (formerly Fletcher’s South Jr. P.S.)
K to 5 boundary for Hickory Wood P.S.
6 to 8 boundary for Roberta Bondar P.S.
5 to 8 boundary for Fletcher’s Creek Sr. P.S.
K to 4 boundary for Cherrytree P.S.
K to 8 boundary for SouthFields Village P.S. (formerly Mayfield West)
K to 8 boundary for Herb Campbell P.S.
K to 8 boundary for Caledon East P.S.
K to 8 boundary for Caledon Central P.S.
K to 8 boundary for Palgrave P.S.
Board approves recommendation to defer boundary change for K-6 Forest Avenue P.S. and K-8 Riverside P.S.
The board approved a recommendation to defer and review a boundary change for Forest Avenue P.S. and Riverside P.S with enrolment from September 30, 2012.
In fall 2011, proposed boundary changes were identified as part of the board’s Annual Planning Document. These boundaries were approved following community consultation. For complete boundary information, contact Planning and Accommodation, 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146) ext. 2212.
Board approves changes to implementation of full-day early learning kindergarten sites
The board approved (contingent on final approval by the Ministry of Education):
- the deferral of Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Programs proposed for Year 3 at Vales South – Fairlawn Blvd. P.S., Bramwest Sub Area #1 and Credit Valley Sub Area 2 #2, until Year 4 implementation
- the deferral of the Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten Program, proposed for Year 3 at James Grieve Public school until Year 5 implementation
- the implementation of Full-Day Early Learning Kindergarten programs for Year 3 at Caledon Central P.S., Palgrave P.S., Somerset Drive P.S., Owenwood P.S., Clarkson P.S., Miller’s Grove P.S. and Maple Wood P.S.
Trustees recognized the contributions and years of service of the following staff who are retiring:
Donna Auld, teaching assistant, will retire Feb. 29
Ann Bick, teacher, will retire Jan. 31
Michael Chambers, teacher, will retire Jan. 27
Kathryn Cunnington, principal, will retire March 31
Yvonne Ford, office manager, will retire Feb. 29
Lynda Kee, coordinator, will retire June 30
Nancy Turner, teacher, will retire Feb. 29
The next regular meeting of the board of trustees is Feb. 14, 2012 at 7:30 p.m.