The Old Britannia Schoolhouse
The Old Britannia Schoolhouse welcomed generations of children from 1852 until 1959 when it closed its doors. When it was built, the schoolhouse was surrounded by farms and small villages in the Township of Toronto, County of Peel, Ontario. Hurontario Street (Highway 10) was a rough country road running past the front door. Today, the City of Mississauga surrounds The Old Britannia Schoolhouse and the quiet country road is a major four lane highway.
Since 1982, students have had the oopportunity to visit The Old Britannia Schoolhouse and participate in first-person historical re-enactments of pioneer life. Students often visit the schoolhouse in period clothing and with lunches that resemble those of the early settlers.
For more information, contact 905-890-1010 (or 1-800-668-1146) ext. 2911.