Peel Alternative School West, which was located within West Credit Secondary School in Mississauga has amalgamated with Peel Alternative School South located at 1500 Ogden Ave., Mississauga, ON. Please go to the Peel Alternative School South page for information about the schools.
Peel Alternative School offers an alternative program for Peel students in Grades 7 to 12 whose needs are better addressed in a smaller educational setting. The secondary programs include:
- Intermediate Alternative Program – for Grade 9 and 10 students under 16
- Foundations – for Grade 9 and 10 students over 16
- Senior – for Grade 11 and 12 students over 16
- TELL – for Grade 10-12 students over 16
- TEAM – for teen mothers
- mPLAR – for students 18 and over
- Experiential Credit Programs – i.e., Cultural Arts and Design Certificate Program (CADC), Wilderness Experience (WE), Learning Independence While Focusing on Education (LIFE), Power, Respect, Inclusive, Determination, Empathy (PRIDE) and Art in the City
Students in the Intermediate Alternative Program must attend school every day. Students in the Foundations, Senior and TELL programs must attend school two hours/week per course.
Peel Alternative School students have learning needs which are not met in a regular secondary school. Courses offered vary based upon enrolment, student interest and facilities.
The goal for most students enrolled at Peel Alternative School is reintegration within a regular secondary school. Referral to Peel Alternative School is done through a student’s home school.