Homestead Public School is “building together for student success.” Homestead opened its doors in 2001 in six sites, with a focus on the student and collaboration between all of the stakeholders. Homestead is committed to improving student achievement and providing motivating training for students in the arts and physical activities.
A knowledgeable staff who promote student involvement make the following student activities possible. At Homestead our students are involved in:
• extracurricular activities during the school day (grades 1 to 5);
• after school sports and art club activities (grades 1-5);
• swing kids dance group (grades 4 and 5);
• student success team (grades 1 to 5);
• healthy snack monitors (grade 3);
• kindergarten helpers (grades 4 and 5);
• lunch room helpers (grades 4 and 5);
• bus monitors (grades 4 and 5);
• Student Wellness Activity Team (SWAT team from grades 4 and 5);
• Peers who Agree to Listen and Solve problems (PALS from grades 4 and 5); and
• school play (grades 4 and 5)
Homestead has a very strong school council which draws from the diversity of the community. The council has been involved in facilitating parent workshops in literacy, numeracy, internet safety and behaviour management. Purchases of outside play equipment, a climbing wall and subsidizing student activities and events has been a focus for parent fundraising.