French Immersion & Extended French
Registration and Locations
If your child will start grade 1 or grade 7 in September 2015, register now for grade 1 French Immersion (FI) or grade 7 Extended French (EF) for the 2015-16 school year by clicking on the appropriate button below.
The deadline to register is
Friday, Jan. 30, 2015 at 4 p.m.
Parents may still register their children after the deadline until Sept. 10, 2015 at 4 p.m. However, students registered after the deadline will not be included in the random selection process and will be automatically placed on the school’s waitlist.
FI only - Enrolment cap and random selection process
As there is a grade 1 FI enrolment cap in place, there are a limited number of spots available for students entering the program. The cap is set at 25 per cent of all Peel students enrolled in grade 1.
Spots are not assigned on a first come, first served basis. A random selection process system is used to identify students gaining entrance into the grade 1 FI program.
All students who are registered by the deadline will be assigned a rank using a computerized random selection process. Once students have been assigned to all available spots, remaining students will be placed, again in rank order, on the school's waitlist. Each school has its own waitlist.
Parents will receive notification by March 6, 2015 to inform them if their children have been placed in grade 1 FI program OR if they have been placed on the school's waitlist. If parents have not received notification after March 6, 2015, they should contact the school.
FI only - Exceptions to random selection process
- Students who are currently in a Kindergarten FI program in another publicly-funded school board will be automatically placed into the grade 1 FI program.
- Students who currently (2014-15) have siblings in the elementary FI program (in grades 3 to 7) would be automatically be placed into the grade 1 FI program, provided they register online by the January 30, 2015 deadline. This means that younger siblings of students who are accepted into grade 1 FI for the 2015-16 school year and who don't currently have siblings in grades 3 to 7 FI will participate in the random selection process in future years.
FI only - Waitlist
Students will be placed on a waitlist for grade 1 FI in the following order:
- Students who registered by the deadline, but weren't selected during the random selection process. Students will be placed in rank order, as determined by the random computerized selection process.
- Students who missed the registration deadline.
- Students who have moved to the Peel board, but have not been part of an existing FI program and missed the registration deadline.
Where to learn more
Plan to attend the information night at your FI or EF school at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 20, 2014. Please contact your local school to confirm the time and location.
Details about the information sessions will be sent home with all Year 2 Kindergarten students.
You can also call
1-800-668-1146) ext. 2519 to speak to the board's French as a Second Language Instructional Co-ordinator. Details about the information sessions will be sent home with all Year 2 Kindergarten students.
If you are unable to attend the information session at your school, sessions will be held at the HJA Brown Education Centre,
5650 Hurontario St. (at Matheson Blvd.), Mississauga, as follows:
French Immersion - Jan. 14, 2015 - 7 to 8 p.m.
Extended French - Jan. 15, 2015 - 7 to 8 p.m.
The Peel board provides busing for the elementary FI program. Depending on how far you live from the nearest French Immersion school, your elementary child may qualify for busing. The board determines busing based on the age of the students and the distance from the school.
Parents can visit the Student Transportation of Peel Region (STOPR) website at
www.stopr.ca and enter their address to determine if their child is eligible for busing, and to find out the bus stop and route information.
The Board does not provide busing for the secondary Extended or French Immersion programs.
French Immersion Sites for the 2015-16 school year
View the full list of French Immersion and Extended French