French Immersion & Extended French
Application Process and Locations
The online application forms for Grade 1 French Immersion and Grade 7 Extended French for the 2016-17 school year will be available on this page on Monday, November 23, 2015 at noon.
The deadline to apply for Grade 1 French Immersion and Grade 7 Extended French for the 2016-17 school year is
Friday, Jan. 29, 2016 at 4 p.m. Parents may still apply after the deadline, however, applications received after the deadline will not be included in the random selection process and will be automatically placed on the school’s waitlist.
FI only - Enrolment cap and random selection process
As there is a grade 1 FI enrolment cap in place, there are a limited number of spots available for students entering the program. The cap is set at 25 per cent of all Peel students enrolled in grade 1.
Spots are not assigned on a first come, first served basis. A random selection process system is used to identify students gaining entrance into the grade 1 FI program.
All students who apply by the deadline will be assigned a rank using a computerized random selection process. Once students have been assigned to all available spots, remaining students will be placed, again in rank order, on the school's waitlist. Each school has its own waitlist.
Parents will receive notification to inform them if their children have been placed in grade 1 FI program OR if they have been placed on the school's waitlist. If parents have not received notification, they should contact the school.
FI only - Exceptions to random selection process
- Students who are currently in a Kindergarten FI program in another publicly-funded school board will be automatically placed into the grade 1 FI program.
- Students who currently (2015-16) have siblings in the elementary FI program (in grades 4 to 7) would be automatically be placed into the grade 1 FI program, provided they register online by the January 29, 2016 deadline. This means that younger siblings of students who are accepted into grade 1 FI for the 2016-17 school year and who don't currently have siblings in grades 4 to 7 FI will participate in the random selection process in future years.
FI only - Waitlist
Students will be placed on a waitlist for grade 1 FI in the following order:
- Students who applied by the deadline, but weren't selected during the random selection process. Students will be placed in rank order, as determined by the random computerized selection process.
- Students who missed the application deadline.
- Students who have moved to the Peel board, but have not been part of an existing FI program and missed the application deadline.
The Peel board provides busing for the elementary FI program. Depending
on how far you live from the nearest French Immersion school, your
elementary child may qualify for busing. The board determines busing
based on the age of the students and the distance from the school.
Parents can visit the Student Transportation of Peel Region (STOPR) website at www.stopr.ca
and enter their address to determine if their child is eligible for
busing, and to find out the bus stop and route information.
The Board does not provide busing for the secondary Extended or French
Immersion programs, with the exception of students attending the
French Immersion program at Humberview Secondary School, living within
the boundary area designated for Mayfield Secondary School, as public
transportation is not available within Caledon.
Where to learn more
Plan to attend the information night at your FI or EF school at 7 p.m. on Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015. Please contact your local school to confirm the time and location.
Details about the information sessions will be sent home with all Year 2 Kindergarten students.
You can also call
1-800-668-1146) ext. 2519 to speak to the board's French as a Second Language Instructional Co-ordinator. Details about the information sessions will be sent home with all Year 2 Kindergarten students.
French Immersion Sites for the 2015-16 school year
View the full list of French Immersion and Extended French