English as a Second Language/English Literacy Development
What is English as a second language/ English literacy development?
The Peel District School Board offers classes to help people learn English and upgrade their academic and English language skills.
Who can take English as a second language/ English literacy development
The Peel board provides ESL/ELD support for:
- students born outside Canada from a non-English speaking country
- students born in Canada who speak a second language or dialect
- recently arrived students who need to upgrade or develop their academic and language skills
How is English as a second language taught?
- In elementary schools, ESL/ELD teachers work with students either in a specific ESL/ELD class or a regular classroom. Programs are developed with the regular classroom teacher based on each student's needs.
- In designated secondary schools, students can take up to five ESL or ELD courses towards their diploma. Beginning students can take ESL classes in different subject areas.
How to register students for programs
You can get information about elementary ESL or ELD programs at your local elementary school. After talking with you, the school staff will discuss your child's needs and suggest an appropriate program.
Information on elementary and secondary school ESL or ELD programs is available at the We Welcome the World Centres.
If needed, the school can arrange for an interpreter to assist you in parent-teacher interviews or to discuss your child's progress.
For further information
If you need more information, you can talk to the ESL/ELD coordinator at the HJA Brown Education Centre, 5650 Hurontario Street, Mississauga or call 905-890-1099, ext. 2531.
English as a second language for adults
Through our Community Education area, we provide ESL classes for adults in Peel. These classes are offered during the day, nighttime and weekend and cover the following topics:
- adult basic literacy
- adult ESL
- citizenship preparation
- English for work with computer training
- improving classroom communication for foreign trained teachers
- language development with technology
- secondary student language support
Child care is provided at some locations.
For more information on adult ESL classes:
Mississauga - call 905-270-6000 and press 2
Brampton - call 905-791-6700