Join the Parent Involvement Committee (PIC)
Help us to encourage and enhance parent involvement in Peel
Six volunteer parent positions available September 2017
Deadline to apply: May 1, 2017
The Peel District School Board's Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) is currently seeking parent applications to fill six new available positions, beginning September 2017 to August 2019.
The committee, consisting primarily of parent members, meets with board trustees and staff a minimum of four times per school year to review the board's plans for parent involvement as they relate to parent, family and community engagement, and to make suggestions to schools, councils and the board regarding additional parent outreach.
Submit your application using the online form.
Applications are due May 1, 2017.
Parent representatives serve for two-year terms, beginning in September and ending in August. Terms are staggered so that parent positions become available each year.
- As mandated by the Ministry of Education, parents will make up the majority of the committee.
- The committee will include at least eight (8) parent members who serve two-year terms.
- Parent members will represent the diversity of Peel region and include representation from junior, middle and secondary schools and all municipalities, with at least one parent from Caledon.
- At least one parent member will represent French Immersion.
- At least one parent member will represent Regional Programs.
- The committee will include a maximum of three (3) school council chairs.
- Parent members can be employees of the Peel District School Board as long as they make the committee aware of their employment. Parent members who are employees are not eligible for the role of chairperson.
In early May, a selection sub-committee consisting of current parent and trustee members will review all parent applications and select representatives using the following Parent Member Selection Criteria as a guide:
- reflects the diversity of the community
- understands the importance of parent, family and community engagement
- has experience working with newcomers to Canada, Ontario or Peel
- has volunteer experience – including experience on school council
- has previous experience in Peel board parent involvement activities
- demonstrates advocacy and community development skills
- has a present level of involvement in the education system
- demonstrates a keen interest in public education
- membership representation aligns with committee's Terms of Reference