Help us to encourage and enhance parent involvement in Peel
Apply for a volunteer position on the board's Parent Involvement Committee
Volunteer positions available September 2014
Deadline to apply: April 25, 2014
Under the Ministry of Education's Parent Involvement Policy, all boards must have a committee comprised of a majority of parents that is directly linked to the director of education and trustees. The Peel board Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) meets regularly throughout the school year to review the board’s plans for parent involvement as it relates to parent, family and community engagement, and to make suggestions to schools, councils and the board regarding additional parent outreach.
As mandated by the ministry, the purpose of Peel board's PIC is to:
- support, encourage, and enhance meaningful parental involvement within schools and across the district, including, outreach to parents who find involvement more challenging
- work collaboratively with the school board to support student success
- seek out the advice and ideas of school councils, and other parents and partners as they plan and implement strategies to involve more parents at the regional level
- develop strategies for enhancing parental engagement and outreach
The term of membership is two years, beginning in September and ending in August.
- As mandated by the Ministry of Education, parents will make up the majority of the committee.
- The committee will include at least eight (8) parent members who serve two-year terms.
- Parent members will represent the diversity of Peel region and include representation from junior, middle and secondary schools and all municipalities, with at least one parent from Caledon.
- At least one parent member will represent French immersion.
- The committee will include a maximum of three (3) school council chairs.
- Parent members can be employees of the Peel District School Board as long as they make the committee aware of their employment. Parent members who are employees are not eligible for the role of chairperson.
The following Peel board staff members serve as a resource to the committee:
- Jay Fedosoff, vice-principal and leader, Parent and Family Literacy Centres
- Varsha Naik, community liaison co-ordinator
- Carla Pereira, communications manager
- Kayla Tishcoff, communications officer
Call for parent members
We are now in the process of inviting parents to apply for four positions on the committee. In early May, a selection sub-committee consisting of current parent and trustee members will review all parent applications and select representatives using the following Parent Member Selection Criteria as a guide:
- reflects the diversity of the community
- understands the importance of parent, family and community engagement
- has experience working with newcomers to Canada, Ontario or Peel
- has volunteer experience – including experience on school council
- has previous experience in Peel board parent involvement activities
- demonstrates advocacy and community development skills
- has a present level of involvement in the education system
- demonstrates a keen interest in public education
If you have questions about the committee or the application process, please contact Carla Pereira at 905-890-1010, ext. 2814 or email her at Carla.email@example.com