The Peel District School Board, Continuing & Adult Education Department (C&AE) is seeking the expertise and knowledge of certified Trainers (Temporary, Casual Contract Positions), to instruct our TESL Accredited Training (TESOL) Certificate and Diploma Programs.
These positions are accountable for the delivery of our TESOL programs approved by TESL Canada and TESL Ontario. The successful candidates will be expected to effectively adhere to the assigned curriculum and schedule. The responsibilities include:
• Deliver the theory and/or methodology instruction of the TESOL Certificate and Diploma program as approved by TESL ONTARIO and TESL CANADA in accordance with ACE training material
• Evaluate student performance and the effectiveness of training programs, providing recommendations for improvement
• Administer testing and evaluation procedures
• Maintain attendance records and other documentation as required
• Continue professional growth through attendance at workshops, conferences, etc; maintain membership in TESL Ontario and other appropriate professional associations
• Attend staff, department, committee meetings as required
• Ensure successful completion and submission of monthly, annual, and specialized or ad hoc reports
• Understanding and commitment to confidentiality
• Train future Instructors in techniques and skills required when teaching/dealing with ESL students
NOTE: All successful candidates to this posting must attend an ACE Train-the-Trainer (Part 1 & Part 2) sessions. This Professional Development is offered to all candidates at no charge to the candidate however it is on the candidates own time.
Required Qualifications for Theory Instructor
1. TESL Ontario standard membership in good standing
2. Master's degree or PhD in TESL/TESOL, applied linguistics, linguistics, second language acquisition, adult education (with a focus on TESL), or a comparable field with a strong concentration of courses relevant to the theory and practice of TESL such as phonetics, phonology, syntax, morphology, semantics, English grammar, second language acquisition, pragmatics, language teaching methods, and language testing.
Required Qualifications for Methodology Instructor
1. TESL Ontario standard membership in good standing
2. University degree and TESL-related training:
Option 1: A minimum three-year Bachelor's degree (or a Master's degree or PhD) in TESL/TESOL, applied linguistics, linguistics, second language acquisition, adult education (with a focus on TESL), or a comparable field with a strong concentration of courses relevant to the theory and practice of TESL such as phonetics, phonology, syntax, morphology, semantics, English grammar, second language acquisition, pragmatics, language teaching methods, and language testing.
Option 2: a minimum three-year Bachelor's degree (or a Master's degree or PhD) in any field plus the TESL Ontario Language Instructor Certificate of Accreditation, or a TESL certificate from a TESL Ontario accredited TESL training program, or documented TESL training which equates to or exceeds training included in a TESL Ontario accredited TESL training program.
Qualifications for both Theory and Methodology Trainers:
• Experience teaching Methodology, Linguistic and language based theory required
• Experience in the delivery training of TESL and TESOL instructor training programs
• Demonstrated thorough understanding of Canadian Language Benchmarks
• Knowledge of ESL evaluation principles, procedures, curriculum and course expectations
• Specialize in the training of adult educators
• Knowledge of Sociolinguistics and cultural aspects of teaching ESL/EFL
• Detail-oriented, with excellent analytical and problem solving skills, including the ability to deal with situations where information is difficult to obtain, complex or ambiguous
• Related experience in planning and implementing TESL/TESOL programs is required
• Excellent communication, teamwork and interpersonal skills
• A high level of flexibility and adaptability
• Proven oral and written communication and presentation skills
• Highly flexible and able to adapt to the needs of students and program change
Salary Range: $32.19 - $38.23 per hour (Under Review) plus 4% vacation pay
• The positions are on a casual basis and once selected, you will be part of a pool of trainers for both full-time and part-time options offered.
• All positions are subject to enrolment and possible schedules may vary according to program needs.
• Time-tables may require working some days of the week between the hours of 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Specific starting and finishing times shall be determined by teaching assignment.
• The work location is Peel District School Board, Adult Education Centre South, 100 Elm Drive, Room 117, Mississauga, ON
• Sample class schedules:
• Part-time courses offered Monday and Wednesday evenings 6 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. and some Saturdays
• Full-time course offered Monday to Thursday 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Duties are to commence as soon as possible.
Applications in writing must be received by the undersigned no later than 4:30 p.m., Thursday, October 31, 2013. You should allow two days for courier delivery to ensure that your application meets this deadline. Please include an up-to-date resume including your work location, residence and business telephone numbers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing candidates, whose skills, experience and qualifications best meet the requirements of the position.
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We are committed to equitable hiring practices that allow us to hire qualified staff who reflect the full diversity of the Region of Peel. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
When contacted, candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests and skill demonstrations. We will provide employment accommodation (i.e. an accessible location, rescheduling of interviews that fall on holy days) if we are advised of an applicant's needs in advance of any part of the selection process.
This job ad is available in alternate formats upon request.
Forward resumes to:
Manager, Strategy Development
Peel District School Board, Continuing & Adult Education
100 Elm Drive West, Room 104
Mississauga, ON, L5B 1L9
Fax: (905) 279-9455