Short-term Assignment to June 28, 2013
Adult Education Centre - Brampton & Mississauga
Reporting to the Manager Strategy Development the successful candidate will manage all aspects of the operation and delivery of the specialized language program (English for Foreign-Trained Teachers) delivered from the Malton site (Morning Star Public School).
• Supporting the curriculum and classroom activity by mentoring and coaching the instructor.
• Recruiting and assessing potential adult learners for the program.
• Marketing and promoting the program within the communities and on our media sites.
• Networking with school, business and community agencies to establish guest speakers, placement options and promotion of the program.
• Coordinating and supervising volunteer placements.
• Assisting with supervision of program instructor.
• Reviewing program curriculum; collaborating with all Site Supervisors and instructors on course material and activities.
• Coordinating, authoring and assisting in the production of all Ministry reports for the Foreign Trained Teachers Program.
• Other duties as assigned.
Note: This is a short-term assignment position working 5 hours/day, 5 days/week.
• Bachelor of Arts Degree or relevant education and related experience in supervision and linguistic programming.
• Ontario College of Teachers certification an asset.
• TESL Ontario Certification an asset.
• Knowledge of the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
• Minimum 3-5 years experience working with adult learners and a comprehensive understanding of adult learning principles.
• Demonstrated supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining community/stakeholder partnerships and using effective marketing, promotion and outreach strategies.
• Excellent organizational, time management, interpersonal, presentation and written and verbal communication skills.
• Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills and able to work independently and as a team.
• Excellent computer skills (Word, PowerPoint, social media tools).
• Working knowledge of board policies and procedures, relevant legislation and collective agreements.
• Record of satisfactory on-the-job performance while employed by The Peel District School Board.
Duties are to commence as soon as possible.
SALARY: $31.17 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
Quote file: Supervisor – Specialized Language Program in the subject line
Applications in writing must be received by the undersigned no later than 4:30 p.m., Wednesday, May 15, 2013. You should allow two days for courier delivery to ensure that your application meets this deadline. Please include an up-to-date resume including your work location, residence and business telephone numbers.
Criminal Record Check
For the safety of students, successful candidates will be required to submit a satisfactory criminal record check prior to the commencement of any employment duties. Recent changes made by the RCMP have resulted in significant processing delays for some candidates. You may wish to start the process to obtain your criminal record check as soon as possible.
Commitment to Equity
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We are committed to equitable hiring practices that allow us to hire qualified staff who reflect the full diversity of the Region of Peel. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
When contacted, candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests and skill demonstrations. We will provide employment accommodation (i.e. an accessible location, rescheduling of interviews that fall on religious holy days) if we are advised of an applicant's needs in advance of any part of the selection process.
Forward resumes to:
Acting Employee Relations Officer
Peel District School Board
Human Resources Department
5650 Hurontario Street
Mississauga, ON L5R 1C6
email: firstname.lastname@example.org as text or as an attachment in word with a .doc extension