We are seeking a Safety Officer in the Human Resources Support Services Department reporting to the Manager of Health, Wellness and Safety. The successful candidate will work within a team of Safety Officers to maintain a comprehensive Occupational Health and Safety program.
Responsibilities will include: maintain, develop and update internal health and safety policies, procedures, guidelines and best practices; implement and coordinate training programs; conduct and coordinate hygiene testing; administer and maintain the asbestos management, musculoskeletal disorder and workplace inspection program; coordinate and perform invasive mould investigations and conduct clearance inspections; administer the lead in water testing; investigate accidents and concerns of unsafe working conditions; coordinate and conduct lift training and facilitate the lifting devices inspections; maintain visual arts, technology and science safety program including WHMIS training, guarding and the coordination of PPE; and liaise with internal locations/departments and provincial inspectors.
• Undergraduate degree in science.
• Environmental, Health and Safety designation (CRSP, CIH, ROH, EP, etc.)
• Minimum of three to five years experience in occupational health and safety with extensive experience in both asbestos and mould abatement, industrial hygiene testing, and development and implementation of safety training programs.
• Thorough understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the pursuant regulations and other legislation applicable to the Education Sector (e.g. Fire Code, Building Code, Environmental legislation, etc.).
• Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy are highly important in the delivery of job duties
• Proficiency with Microsoft applications.
• Excellent written and oral communication, organization, time management, analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Must possess a car and have a valid driver's license.
• Record of satisfactory on-the-job performance while employed by the Peel District School Board.
Salary: C4-3 (Min. $69,868 - Max. $83,083) per annum (Under Review)
Duties are to commence as soon as possible.
Quote file number: ASG #15 in the subject line
Applications in writing must be received by the undersigned no later than 4:30 p.m., Monday, May 6, 2013. You should allow two days for courier delivery to ensure that your application meets this deadline. Please include an up-to-date resume including your work location, residence and business telephone numbers.
We appreciate the interest of all applicants, but will only be interviewing selected candidates.
Forward resumes to:
Acting Employee Relations Officer
Peel District School Board
Human Resources Department
5650 Hurontario Street
Mississauga, ON L5R 1C6
email: firstname.lastname@example.org as text or as an attachment in word with a .doc extension
Criminal Record Check:
For the safety of students, successful candidates will be required to submit a satisfactory criminal record check prior to the commencement of any employment duties. Recent changes made by the RCMP have resulted in significant processing delays for some candidates. You may wish to start the process to obtain your criminal record check as soon as possible.
Commitment to Equity:
The Peel District School Board is committed to equity in employment. We are committed to equitable hiring practices that allow us to hire qualified staff who reflect the full diversity of the Region of Peel. We will make any reasonable accommodation, based on any of the human rights protected grounds, to support candidates to participate in the hiring process.
When contacted, candidates will be provided with an overview of the various elements of the selection process, such as tests and skill demonstrations. We will provide employment accommodation (i.e. an accessible location, rescheduling of interviews that fall on religious holy days) if we are advised of an applicant's needs in advance of any part of the selection process.