Values Taught Daily
Our values are core to how our amazing Peel District School Board staff fulfill our mission: to inspire success, confidence and hope in each student. Taught in Peel schools, our character attributes help create safe, nurturing and positive climates for learning and working. These values prepare students to be empathetic citizens of the 21st century world as we teach them to be: caring, cooperative, honest, inclusive, respectful and responsible.
As part of the Ministry of Education’s focus on character development, the Peel District School Board is focusing on important attributes or traits that form the standard for the behaviour of our students and staff. The character attributes are taught in school, and are the basis of our working relationships in schools and worksites. In Peel, we value healthy relationships where all students, staff and community members are welcomed, respected, feel a sense of belonging, and are supported in learning and working together.
Six character attributes were selected through a broad consultation with students, staff, community members and faith groups. These six attributes—caring, cooperative, honest, inclusive, respectful and responsible—are certainly not intended to be a full list of the behaviours and values we practice in our relationships with each other, but they clearly represent an agreement among within our community about what’s most important. They also enable us to share a common language.
The Peel board chose six attributes because we know it’s more effective to keep focused on a manageable number of traits that we can all agree are most important. The board’s focus on character development show the importance of equitable and inclusive schools and workplaces.
Definition: Showing compassion and kindness toward others
You show CARE when you:
- Show kindness towards people and other living things.
- Listen to and respond appropriately to the concerns of others.
- Help others who are in need.
- Demonstrate empathy by recognizing and identifying with the feelings of others.
- Protect and respect the environment.
Definition: Working together with others for one goal
You show COOPERATION when you:
- Participate with your best effort.
- Assume positive intentions in others.
- Follow the rules made by the group.
- Respect the ideas and feelings of others.
- Value the contributions of others.
Definition: Being truthful, trustworthy and sincere in what you say and do
You show HONESTY when you:
- Tell the truth - be sincere, genuine and trustworthy.
- Take responsibility for your actions and words.
- Admit to your mistakes.
- Play by the rules.
- Do what is right, even when no one is watching.
Definition: Treating everyone fairly and equitably
You show INCLUSIVENESS when you:
- Welcome and engage others.
- Treat everyone with respect and dignity.
- Approach situations free of prejudice.
- Reach out to others in a fair and equitable manner.
- Respect differences.
Definition: Treating others, yourself, and the environment with high regard and value
You show RESPECT when you:
- Be polite to everyone.
- Treat yourself and others with care and value.
- Honour the rules of your home, school, workplace and community.
- Demonstrate value for yourself, your body and your rights.
- Take care with other people's property and belongings.
Definition: Being accountable for and reliable in your actions and commitments
You show RESPONSIBILITY when you:
- Set goals, stay focused and stick with the task until completed.
- Do your share of the work.
- Recognize and learn from your mistakes.
- Follow through with your commitments.
- Demonstrate initiative and perseverance in overcoming difficulties.