Latest update: Jan. 25, 2017
Board approves recommendations for Pupil Accommodation Review for secondary schools south of the 401
At the Regular Meeting of the Board on Jan. 24, 2017, Peel District School Board trustees approved the following recommendations related to the Pupil Accommodation Review for secondary schools south of the 401:
- Effective June 2018, Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School will close;
- Effective September 2018, the Vocational (VOC) and Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) Programs will be relocated from Gordon Graydon Memorial S.S. to Glenforest Secondary School;
- Effective September 2017,
Effective September 2018, the International Business and Technology (IBT) and Graphic and Design Management (GDM) Programs will be relocated from Gordon Graydon Memorial S.S. to T.L. Kennedy Secondary School.
- students residing within the existing Glenforest S.S. Enhanced Learning Program (ELP) boundary entering Grade 9 ELP, will be directed to The Woodlands S.S. or Lorne Park Secondary School;
- students enrolled in the Enhanced Learning Program at Glenforest S.S. and entering Grade 10 – 12, will be given the option to attend The Woodlands S.S. or Lorne Park S.S. Students who do not exercise this option for 2017 will complete their secondary education at Glenforest Secondary School;
- ELP boundaries for The Woodlands and Lorne Park will be expanded as described in the Final Staff Report
Peel board staff will now prepare a transition plan that will include timelines for implementation and the support available to staff and students moving to their new school sites. In addition, transition committees will be formed, comprised of appropriate Board staff and parents. These committees will develop plans for items of historical significance, the control, reclamation and disposition of a closing school's inventory, maintaining appropriate records and building a collaborative culture in the consolidated sites.
Download a copy of the letter being sent home to families of affected schools on Jan. 25, 2017.
Download a copy of the Final Staff Report from the Jan. 24, 2017 Regular Meeting of the Board.
At the Regular Meeting of the Board on April 12, Peel District School Board trustees approved a pupil accommodation review for Gordon Graydon Memorial, Glenforest, Lorne Park, T. L. Kennedy and The Woodlands secondary schools.
closing Gordon Graydon Memorial Secondary School and relocating the International Business and Technology, Vocational, Graphic Design Management and Autism Spectrum Disorder programs to Glenforest, and TL Kennedy secondary schools
relocating the Enhanced Learning Program from Glenforest to Lorne Park and The Woodlands secondary schools
the Gordon Graydon site and building be repurposed as the new location for the board’s Continuing and Adult Education Mississauga Campus
It's important to note that these recommendations are just that—no firm decisions have been made. The review process is extensive and thorough, and will take time. This is just the beginning of a long conversation about how to best serve our students.
Through the review process, which includes public consultation through the Accommodation Review Committee meetings and two public meetings, the Peel board will work with its school communities to plan together for secondary schools south of the 401. The board's goal is to best meet the learning needs of the students in this area.
Subscribe for updates
You may choose to subscribe to receive email notifications of website updates by visiting www.peelschools.org/aboutus/subscribe, and selecting the "Pupil Accommodation Review" option. All information about the pupil accommodation review, including important dates, meeting agendas and minutes and extensive background information will be posted on this webpage.