Welcome to Peel
Are you new to our school board, province or Canada? Are you looking for a place to register your child for school? Do you want to learn about the education system, and service and programs in your community? If your family is new to the Peel region, your child may need an assessment before starting school. The welcome centre is the best place to start.
The Peel District School Board has three Welcome Centres, in Brampton, Malton, and Mississauga to welcome your family to Peel and get your children registered for school. There is no fee for registration.
Call 905-366-8791 to book an appointment at the location that is most convenient for you in:
The welcome centres are open Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., all year round. Please be reminded that the last registration appointment will be at 3 p.m. Families can get assistance from staff in many languages.
The We Welcome the World Centres are funded by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
Nous offrons des services en français
ici. Pour des services ou des formations en
français, contacter 905-366-8791.
If your family is new to Canada, your child may need an orientation interview and an assesment to register for school. New students to Peel must make an appointment, which includes an orientation and an assessment of Math and/or English language skills.
The orientation interview process includes:
- Discussion of your child’s educational history, interests and goals
- Assessment of English language proficiency and/or knowledge of mathematics
- Introduction to the Ontario elementary or secondary school system
- Settlement needs assessment and/or referral
- Suggest placement for secondary school students based on school transcripts, assessment results and age
- Assistance for secondary school students in choosing program/courses and post-secondary pathways
- Orientation interview report sent to school
Length of orientation interview appointment:
- Elementary Students: 1-2 hours
- Secondary Students: 3-5 hours
- Passport and Confirmation of Permanent Residence or Permanent Resident Card
- Proof of age (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- Immunization Records*
- Proof of Home address
- Education Records/Transcripts
*If you don't have an immunization record for your child, please call Peel Public Health at 905-799-7700.
Who needs an assessment?
Any student who is new to Canada, including those coming from English speaking countries school system for the first time (Kindergarten-Grade 12)
Any student who is new to the province
Any student who is new to Peel without a Report Card, and who has been in the Ontario school system less than six months (e.g., transfers from another Ontario school board)
Students who have studied at an international school and have been out of the country more than 8 months
***Please note that all secondary students (grades 9-12) meeting the above criteria must have their assessment appointment before attending school.
Please call early and book your appointment to ensure your child’s admission is not delayed.
The welcome centres offer many free services. While at the welcome centre, you can:
register for child for school
receive your child’s literacy and math assessment
get information about education in Ontario, the Peel District School Board, your role in school, and how to help your child succeed
learn about adult education and English classes
get referrals to community groups (i.e. employment and training, housing, health care)
learn about volunteering in Canada, and making connections with your community
access computers with Internet access